facebooktwitter

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Herbs for Heartburn!

I just took a class on herbs for pregnancy and wanted to share some tips for one common pregnancy ailment: heartburn!!


The herbs that are beneficial for heartburn are: 
Anise
Slippery Elm
Chamomile
Fennel

You can make a tea out of the Anise, Slippery Elm, and Chamomile and drink that for prevention of heartburn or to alleviate it once you have it.

You can also chew on fennel seeds to alleviate heartburn (apparently this is a common practice in Indian culture and cuisine).

Other foods that are said to relieve heartburn are almonds, papaya, and mango. It is reported that Pepto Bismol uses properties of papaya and mango in their formula!

I remember having the worst heartburn with my daughter, so I hope this can help some mamas who may be suffering with it!

***Please remember: I am not a doctor or an herbalist. I am simply passing along information that I learned. Please do your own research and/or ask your doctor before use of any herbs during pregnancy and breastfeeding.***

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What course did you take for herbs in pregnancy?

Elyse said...

It was a webinar taught by an herbalist from Indigenous Remedies. :-) There will be another on herbs for birth and postpartum if you're interested!

Post a Comment

 
 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique.